Download Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox 3 now!
Susan M Graham
We are currently recruiting for a study of the impact of antiretroviral therapy (ART) initiation on HIV-1 shedding in semen. We will describe the impact of a standard WHO first-line ART regimen on HIV-1 levels in semen and in blood, and compare the decay rates in these two compartments. We are also finishing a study of the acceptability, feasibility, and validity of urine collected after a prostate massage as a surrogate marker of HIV-1 infectivity in place of semen. An ongoing study of Kenyan women who fail first-line ART and initiate second-line ART aims to determine the extent of drug resistance mutations in plasma and in genital secretions at treatment failure and evaluate the degree of suppression achieved in these compartments after second-line therapy initiation.
Susan Graham is a member of the HIV and STI Prevention Group.
1. Chohan V, Baeten JM, Benki S, Graham SM, Lavreys L, Mandaliya K, Ndinya-Achola JO, Jaoko W, Overbaugh J, McClelland RS. A Prospective Study of Risk Factors for Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Acquisition among High-Risk HIV-1 Seronegative Kenyan Women. In press, Sexually Transmitted Infections.
2. Graham SM, Masese L, Gitau R, Mwakangalu D, Jaoko W, Ndinya-Achola J, Mandaliya K, Peshu N, Baeten JM, McClelland RS. Increased risk of genital ulcer disease in women during the first month after initiating antiretroviral therapy. In press, JAIDS.
3. McClelland RS, Richardson BA, Hassan WM, Graham SM, Kiarie J, Baeten JM, Mandaliya K, Jaoko W, Ndinya-Achola JO, Holmes KK. A Prospective Study of Vaginal Bacterial Flora and Other Risk Factors for Vulvovaginal Candidiasis. J Infect Dis 2009; 199:1883-90.
4. van der Elst EM, Okuku HS, Nakamaya P, Muhaari A, Davies A, McClelland RS, Price MA, Smith AD, Graham SM, Sanders EJ. Is Audio Computer-Assisted Self-Interview (ACASI) Useful in Risk Behaviour Assessment of Female and Male Sex Workers, Mombasa, Kenya? PLoS ONE 2009; 4(5): e5340.
5. Graham SM, Holte S, Kimata JT, Wener MH, Overbaugh J. A decrease in albumin in early SIV infection is related to viral pathogenicity. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2009; 25(4):433-40.
6. McClelland RS, Richardson BA, Graham SM, Masese LN, Gitau R, Lavreys L, Mandaliya K, Jaoko W, Baeten JM, Ndinya-Achola JO. A Prospective Study of Risk Factors for Bacterial Vaginosis in HIV-1-Seronegative African Women. Sex Transm Dis 2008; 35(6):617-623.
7. Grijsen ML, Graham SM, Mwangome M, Githua P, Mutimba S, Wamuyu L, Okuku H, Price MA, McClelland RS, Smith AD, Sanders EJ. Incorporating basic STI screening into HIV prevention trials in Africa. Sex Transm Infect 2008; 84(5): 364-370.
8. Sanders EJ, Graham SM, Okuku HS, van der Elst EM, Muhaari A, Davies A, Peshu N, Price M, McClelland RS, Smith AD. HIV-1 infection in high-risk men who have sex with men in Mombasa, Kenya. AIDS 2007; 21(18): 2513-2520.
9. Graham SM, Baeten JM, Richardson BA, Wener MH, Lavreys L, Mandaliya K, Ndinya-Achola JO, Overbaugh, J, McClelland RS. A decrease in albumin with HIV-1 acquisition predicts subsequent disease progression. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2007; 23(10): 1197-1200.
10. Graham SM, Baeten JM, Richardson BA, Bankson DD, Lavreys L, Ndinya-Achola JO, Mandaliya K, Overbaugh J, McClelland RS. Higher pre-infection vitamin E levels are associated with higher mortality in HIV-1-infected Kenyan women. BMC Infect Dis 2007; 7: 63.
11. Geibel S, van der Elst, EM, Kingola N, Luchters S, Davies A, Getambu EM, Peshu N, Graham SM, McClelland RS, Sanders EJ. "Are you on the market?": A capture-recapture enumeration of men who sell sex to men in and around Mombasa, Kenya. AIDS 2007; 21(10): 1349-54.
12. Graham SM, Holte SE, Peshu NM, Richardson BA, Panteleeff DD, Jaoko WG, Ndinya-Achola JO, Mandaliya KN, Overbaugh JM, McClelland RS. Initiation of antiretroviral therapy leads to a rapid decline in cervical and vaginal HIV-1 shedding. AIDS 2007; 21(4): 501-7.
13. Rodriguez WR, Chistodoulides N, Floriano PN, Graham S, Mohanty S, Dixon M, Hsiang M, Peter T, Zavahir S, Thior I, Romanovicz D, Bernard B, Goodey AP, Walker BD, McDevitt JT. A microchip CD4 counting method for HIV monitoring in resource-poor settings. PLoS Med 2005; 2(7): 663-72.
14. Graham S, Das GK, Hidvegi RJ, Hanson R, Kosiuk J, Al ZK, Menzies D. Chest radiograph abnormalities associated with tuberculosis: reproducibility and yield of active cases. Int J Tub & Lung Dis 2002; 6(2): 137-42.